Making a Referral

  • "If you have a preschool child and you have noticed that your child is not developing skills such as walking, talking or playing like other young children, you may want to talk to your family doctor. He or she may be able to reassure you that children develop at different rates and your child is within the normal developmental scales. If, however, the doctor is concerned, or you are still not comfortable with your child’s progress, you may make a referral to your school district’s Committee on Preschool Special Education (CPSE).


    If your three-year-old child received services from the Early Intervention Program and is in need of special education services, he or she will need to transition (move) from the Early Intervention Program into the preschool special education program. The Early Intervention official from your county must give written notice to the CPSE in your local school district that your child may be transitioning from the Early Intervention Program. With your consent, a transition plan must be developed no later than three months before your child’s third birthday.


    If your school-age child is having difficulties in school, first talk to his or her teacher. Many schools offer supports for students within regular education such as psychological services, speech and language improvement services, curriculum and instructional modifications and Academic Intervention Services. If you, the teacher and principal have not been able to help your child, your child may have a disability which affects his or her learning. To find out, you can make a referral to the Committee on Special Education (CSE)."  (Excerpt taken from: Special Education in New York State for Children Ages 3-21: A Parent's Guide )